The ACNC has transitional reporting arrangements in place with several government agencies.

These arrangements aim to reduce the reporting burden on charities that report to other agencies, and can also give charities extra time to comply with streamlining arrangements being implemented by the ACNC and other agencies.

alert icon Charities that are incorporated as companies by or registered with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) have many of their notification and reporting obligations to ASIC replaced by obligations to the ACNC. This is not a transitional arrangement.

Read more about ASIC and ACNC obligations.

Commonwealth agencies

Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations (ORIC)

Indigenous corporations registered with ORIC must continue to comply with ORIC's reporting obligations, unless otherwise notified.

The ACNC works in partnership with ORIC. The arrangement we have allows Indigenous corporations to continue to operate and report to ORIC as they have always done, without the burden of having to report separately to the ACNC.

The information you provide to ORIC is provided to the ACNC so that we can update your charity’s details on the ACNC Register.

Read more about ORIC-registered charities.

Department of Education (DE)

If your non-government school submits a financial questionnaire to DE, you do not have to provide financial information directly to us for the 2014 to 2024 reporting periods.

We will accept the financial information lodged with DE (including the financial report collected by DE for reporting periods 2016 and beyond) as meeting the requirements set out in the ACNC Act to fulfil the financial reporting obligation in the Annual Information Statement (AIS).

Read more about the obligations of non-government schools.

Australian Taxation Office (ATO)

Prior to the 2016 reporting period, charities that were ancillary funds were required to submit an ancillary fund return to the ATO and an AIS to the ACNC.

Since 2016, the majority of these funds have only been required to submit the AIS. The ATO contacts funds that still need to submit an ancillary fund return.

Read more about private and public ancillary funds.

Reporting to state or territory regulators

Medium and large charities may currently submit financial reports to their state or territory regulator because they are:

  • an incorporated association
  • a cooperative, or
  • a charitable fundraising organisation.

If so, until the ACNC has a streamlined reporting arrangement in place with that state or territory regulator, these charities may be able to submit the same financial report to the ACNC. In these cases, we will accept this financial report as meeting our requirements from the 2014 to 2024 reporting periods.

alert icon If your charity is taking up this opportunity, you should upload the same financial report you previously provided to the state or territory regulator when requested to do so in the financial information section of the AIS. Remember to select the state or territory where you submitted that financial report. Charities that are incorporated as companies by ASIC should not participate in these transitional arrangements and must fully comply with all ACNC reporting requirements.

Streamlined reporting arrangements

The ACNC has streamlined reporting arrangements with a number of states and territories. Read more about streamlined reporting arrangements on the ACNC Red Tape Reduction page.

Where a streamlined reporting arrangement is not yet in place, the ACNC will accept the financial reports from the types of charities listed1 as follows:

State or territoryIncorporated associationsCooperativesCharitable fundraising organisations
ACT2 Cross icon Tick icon Cross icon
NSW Cross icon Tick icon Tick icon
Qld Tick icon Tick icon Tick icon
SA2 Cross icon Tick icon Cross icon

Cross icon

(Reports not required in WA)

Tick icon Tick icon
Vic2 Cross icon Tick icon Tick icon
NT Cross icon Tick icon

Cross icon

(Reports not required in NT)

Tas2 Cross icon Tick icon

Cross icon

(Reports not required in Tas)

1 If your charity is an incorporated association or co-operative AND a charitable fundraising organisation, submit the same report provided to your incorporating regulator (not the fundraising report). However, if your charity is a trust, or is unincorporated, you can submit your fundraising report. Also, these transitional arrangements do not apply to companies limited by guarantee that submit their reports to state/territory fundraising regulators. Registered charities that are companies limited by guarantee must comply with all ACNC reporting requirements.
2 There are streamlined reporting arrangements in these jurisdictions which will affect your charity. Click on the state or territory for further information.

Find your state or territory regulator.

Read the Commissioner’s Policy Statement: Accepting other government reports.